Our next-door neighbor wasn't even home when the alarm went off, but she must have known somehow, because she came back and ran into the building to get her cat. The fire department arrived and quickly located and put out the fire. Apparently, one of the clothes dryers downstairs had caught fire.
Our next-door neighbor was furious. "I contacted Philadelphia Management a month ago and told them that dryer needed to be serviced. The vent hose was full of lint and nothing was getting dry, it was obviously a problem, and they didn't do anything about it."
Whether or not that's what happened, the whole experience has further convinced well_lahdidah that we need to move when our lease is up. I find moving to be one of the most stressful things you can do to yourself, but it might also be nice to live someplace where there aren't two Irish pubs on our block—funny how when we first moved it, I thought that was a selling point.
Miss K has gotten over the trauma, more-or-less, but still eyes us with suspicion.